Soul singer Fontella Bass, best known for her 1965 hit “Rescue Me,” has died. She was 72.
According to the Uptown Magazine, the St. Louis-born songstress passed away on December 26th due to complications from a heart attack she suffered three weeks ago. Her daughter, Neuka Mitchell, says Bass had also suffered a series of strokes over the past seven years.
“She was an outgoing person,” Mitchell added. “She had a very big personality. Any room she entered she just lit the room up, whether she was on stage or just going out to eat.”
- R&B Singer Fontella Bass Dies at 72 (getmybuzzup.com)
- Report: Rescue Me singer Fontella Bass dies (itv.com)
- ‘Rescue Me’ Singer Fontella Bass Dies at 72 (theroot.com)
- Soul Singer Fontella Bass Dead at 72 (rollingstone.com)
- Soul Singer Fontella Bass Dies (stlouis.cbslocal.com)
- R.I.P: ‘Rescue Me’ Soul Singer Fontella Bass Dead At 72 [Video] (bossip.com)
- Rescue Me singer Bass dies at 72 (bbc.co.uk)
- ‘Rescue Me’ singer Fontella Bass dies (music-mix.ew.com)
- ‘Rescue Me’ Singer Fontella Bass Dies at 72 (essence.com)